Welcome to the PRO Costa Rica Session 3 Accepted Student Information page. Navigate the tabs below for everything you need to know before your epic adventure in Costa Rica.
To navigate back to your portal for payments, forms and due dates, click the My Account button above.
BEFORE you go to your account, be sure you LOGIN by clicking the LOGIN button at the top right of your screen.
Here are the Top 3 things you need to be working on to prepare for your summer abroad.
- Passport – make sure your passport is ready for travel
- Applying for a passport for the first time? Watch this quick overview.
- Book your flight
- Practice some basic Spanish by downloading Duolingo or a similar app. Though Spanish is not a requirement of the program and we will have translators on the ground, it is easier to connect with patients if you know a few common phrases. You can also reference our medical terms quick guide.
- Groupme coming Spring 2024.
- When you join, post an introduction with your name, school and hometown. If you’re looking for a flight buddy and/or a roommate, share that as well so you can connect with others looking for the same.
- Please note: If you have specific questions about your program, please send them to LeadAbroad staff directly at info@LeadAbroad.com. Program questions posted in GroupMe may get missed by staff members.
- Follow us on Instagram and search the tags #LeadAbroadLife and @LeadAbroad.
Preparing to Travel
Important dates for PRO Costa Rica Session 3:
- Monday, May 27: Students depart U.S. for San Jose; program begins
- Friday, June 7: Program ends; students depart San Jose for U.S.
➡️ Arrival Window: May 27 from 10:00am-12:30pm
Group shuttle to the hotel after arrival:
- All students arriving on flights arriving between before 12:30pm will be on the group shuttle.
- If you are scheduled to arrive on May 27th before the group lands, you can wait at the airport for the group shuttle or pay for your own transfer to the hotel. LeadAbroad will assist you in arranging this transportation with LeadAbroad’s trusted transportation partner.
Group shuttle to the airport for departure back to U.S.:
- The group will be traveling from Arenal back to San Jose on departure day. It is important that students do not book a flight departing before 1pm.
LeadAbroad recommends aligning your flights on one of the following itineraries. Whether you live near Atlanta and can drive to the airport, or if you need to connect from your hometown airport, we strongly suggest flying on our recommended flight. For more information about how LeadAbroad selects our recommended flights, please click here.
Depart: May 27, 2024
Return: June 7, 2024
Recommended: Atlanta (ATL) on Delta Air Lines
|Travel Dates||Route||Airline & Flight #||Departure Time||Arrival Time|
|May 27||ATL-SJO||DL 1937||9:45am||11:47am|
|June 7||SJO-ATL||DL 1756||1:13pm||7:37pm|
➡️ Watch this quick video on tips on how to connect with the recommended flight from your hometown.
➡️ We highly encourage booking all flights (including connecting flights, if necessary) on the same airline to ensure the flights are all under one reservation (NOT separate tickets). This will reduce the challenges associated with delayed flights, lost luggage and other unforeseen travel issues.
➡️ LeadAbroad will post all flights prior to departure so students can connect with others on their flight.
➡️ Note: students will arrive to the SJO airport for return flights home around 10:00am. Students MUST book a return flight that departs after 1pm.
Program Specific Orientation
- PRO Costa Rica Orientation I: Coming Spring 2024
- PRO Costa Rica Orientation II: Coming Spring 2024
- Please note: Country-specific policies referenced in orientation may change based on changing government laws, health guidelines, current health environment or LeadAbroad rules designed to keep students safe. It is important to read all of LeadAbroad’s emails thoroughly to stay informed on the most updated policies, procedures and requirements.
**Your orientation is not complete until you submit the Pre-Departure Form & Orientation: Program-Specific Form (available closer to departure) in your portal. Please submit this form to verify you’ve completed all orientations.
Suggested Donations for Costa Rica
Most Wanted (in order of need)
- Allergy Medications for Children and Adults: (Cetirizine (Zyrtec), loratadine (Claritin), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), Fexofenadine (Allegra))
- Anti-fungal creams: Clotrimazole, Terbinafine, Tolnaftate, Ketoconazole
- Hyrdocortisone 1% cream
- Acetaminophen for Children (suspension, chewable, droppers)
- Naproxen (Aleve 200mg)
Other Needed Donations
- Cough syrup for Adults and Children (Dextromethorphan, Guafenesin, Ambroxol)
- Gastic: Antacids (Tums), Ranitidine (Zantac)
- Children’s and Adult Multivitamins
- Antibiotics for Adults and Children: Azythromycin, Amoxicillin, Ciprofloxacin
- Vaginal Infection Treatments (Monistat, Myconazole, Nistatin (Nistat), Metronidazole (Flagystatin))
- Strips for Glucometer Brand: FreeStyle Optium ONLY
While serving in San Jose
- Students will be in humble accommodations at Casa las Orquideas
- Rooms will be mostly triples and quads
- There is not air-conditioning so bring a small portable fan if you get hot in the evenings
While adventuring in Arenal
- Fun, comfortable hotel Arenal Montechiari
- Rooms are mostly doubles and triples
Roommates are emailed to students approximately 2-4 weeks before departure
To request a roommate, please submit the Housing Form (available in January) in your online portal by the posted due date. Forms submitted after the due date may not be reviewed. Once roommates are posted, we cannot make any changes. If you’ve already submitted your roommate form but wish to make a change to your request before the form due date, please email info@LeadAbroad.com ASAP.
Official Itineraries coming Spring 2024.
Please note: this itinerary is subject to change at any point before or during the program. Closer to departure, we will send you instructions on downloading the Trip Plans app so you have real-time access to the schedule.